I welcome you all to the briefing for Thursday, 16th April, 2020.
2. The Presidential Task Force (PTF) continues to monitor developments around the country and provide guidance to sub-national entities and all Nigerians on measures to take to strengthen their systems and to minimize the risk of infection.
3. We note the number of confirmed cases for Wednesday 15th April, 2020, which represents the highest single day rise in number since the inauguration of the PTF a month ago. We also note the encouraging number of people discharged from care and management facilities.
4. It is critical to repeat, however, that compliance with the advisories for personal hygiene, social distancing, restriction of movement, early reporting of symptoms and wearing of masks regularly, especially in public, remain the best measures for the prevention of infections and to slow down the spread.
5. The PTF appeals to Nigerians to take responsibility and play their roles properly. As you all know, we are in a state of war against an invisible enemy!
6.Let me also advise that whenever you are outside the confines of your homes, make sure it is for very legitimate reasons covered by the exemption or within the hours relaxed for the purchase of basic items. Similarly, you should carry with you a valid means of identification. Finally, I urge everyone to please exercise patience in communicating with the Law Enforcement Agents assigned to ensure compliance with the Presidential Orders. They are there to protect all of us! The PTF continues to count on the collective cooperation of all Nigerians in our effort to contain the spread of this deadly virus.
7. I will now invite the Honourable Minister of Health to the podium to update you.