The Speaker of the House, Rep. Femi Gbajabiamila presided.
The Bill on Insurance that was recently passed has some discrepancies between the House of Representatives version and that of the Senate. There is hence the need for harmonization. The membership of the House of Representatives Harmonization Committee will be led by Rep. Darlington Nwokocha.
MATTER IS OF URGENT PUBLIC IMPORTANCE
1.A Motion was moved on the urgent need to tackle the continuous loss of life and properties due to train mishaps. The Federal Investigation Bureau was called on to investigate the remote and immediate causes of the mishaps to ensure a lasting solution. The Federal Government; through the Railway services was also asked to ensure such mishaps are a thing of the past and that the relevant Committees of the House should ensure compliance. The motion was voted on and adopted.
PRESENTATION OF BILLS
- Defence Industry Corporation of Nigeria Act (Repeal and Enactment) Bill, 2023 (HB. 2178) (Rep. Babajimi Benson) – First Reading.
- Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Act (Amendment) Bill, 2023 (HB. 2179) (Rep. Dachung Musa Bagos) – First Reading.
- African Union Development Agency-new Partnership for Africa’s Development Bill, 2023 (HB.2180) Rep. Gideon Gwani and Rep. Dachung Musa Bagos) – First Reading.
- Carriage of Goods by land (Road and Rail) Bill, 2023 (HB. 2181) (Hon. Dachung Musa Bagos) – First Reading.
- Nigeria Shippers’ Council Act (Amendment) Bill, 2023 (HB. 2182) (Rep. Dachung Musa Bagos) – First Reading.
- Nigeria Weight and Measures Regulatory Agency (Establishment) Bill, 2023 (HB. 2183) (Rep. Olufemi Fakeye) – First Reading.
PRESENTATION OF REPORT
Committee on Public Accounts Rep. Oluwole Oke: “That the House do receive the Report of the Committee on Public Accounts on a Bill for an Act to provide for Establishment of an Independent Office of the Auditor General for Area Councils in the Federal Capital Territory and provide for the Audit of Area Councils Public Accounts and for Related Matters (HB.1782) (Referred: 30/6/2022). The report was laid following a motion by Rep. Oluwole Oke.
ORDERS OF THE DAY-BILLS
1. A Bill for an Act to Amend the Federal Medical Centres Act to Establish Federal Medical Centre, Daura, Kastina State; and for Related Matters (HB.2145) – Third Reading. The Bill was voted on, read for third reading and passed.
2. A Bill for an Act to Amend the National Identity Management Commission; and for Related Matters (HB. 1447) (Hon. Sergius Ogun) – Second Reading. The Bill was voted on, passed, read the second time and referred to the House Committee on Population.
3. A Bill for an Act to Establish Federal Road Safety Commission Road Marshal Assistants Training as National Diploma and National Certificate of Education Awarding Institution to Provide Academic and Professional Training; and for Related Matters (HB. 1619) (Rep. Mayowa Samuel Akinfolarin) – Second Reading. The Bill was voted on, passed, read the second time and referred to the House Committee on Federal Road Safety Corps.
- Re-committal of Bills: Rep. Abubakar Hassan Fulata The House: Recalls that the following Bills were passed by the National Assembly and transmitted to the President for assent;
(i) Federal Colleges of Education (Establishment) Bill, 2019 (HB. 1455);
(ii) National Senior Secondary Education Commission (Establishment) Bill, 2022 (HB. 1940);
(iii) Environmental Practitioners of Nigeria (Establishment) Bill, Bill, 2021 (HB. 353);
(iii) Federal Medical Centre, Igboho, Oyo State (Establishment) Bill, 2020 (HB.733); and
(v) Federal College of Education, Mutum Biyu (Establishment, Etc.) Bill, 2020 (HB. 1136).
Observes that some fundamental issues which require fresh legislative actions had emerged hence, re-committal of the Bills to address the issues;
Resolves to: Commit the Bills to the Committee of the Whole for reconsideration. The motion was voted on and adopted.
5. Urgent Need to Rehabilitate Jos-Bauchi Road: Rep. Muhammad Adam Alkali:
Resolves to: (i) Urge the Federal Road Maintenance Agency, FERMA to urgently rehabilitate the Jos-Bauchi road and enlighten commercial and heavy trucks drivers to ensure safety-drive and vehicle maintenance;
(ii) Further urge the Federal Road Safety Corps, to introduce regular vehicular checks, and also intensify highway patrols on the road, to ensure strict compliance to traffic regulations;
(iii) Mandate the Committees on Federal Road Maintenance Agency (FERMA) and Federal Road Safety Commission to ensure compliance. The motion was voted on and adopted.
The House at 13:45 adjourned plenary to Wednesday, March 22nd, 2023.